11 Jul 2018 09:56

King's Junior Division's comeback kids completed one of the great escapes as they turned around a 4 – 0 deficit to win the North-West Association of Junior Independent Schools' Plate final 5 – 4.

Playing arch rivals Stockport Grammar, King’s got off to the worst possible start, going 4-0 down within ten frantic minutes, but cometh the hour cometh the men and one minute before half time, a long ball forward was superbly controlled by Joey Richardson, who then produced a swivel turn and lethal shot to claw back a goal.

Straight from the second half kick off, Max Wilson played a delightful lofted pass for Zac Farrer who took one touch before finishing past the oncoming keeper.

The next couple of minutes belonged to tough keeper Ted Brough, who pulled off a succession of Pickford like saves to make sure King’s still had a chance of turning the game around.

Neat footwork by Callum Richardson provided the next chance with the the ball falling to that man Joey Richardson who coolly slotted a clinical strike to the corner.

Then after some calm and collected work by the rock defender Christian Smith, the ball was played to Zac Farrer, who beat a defender before firing a cross into the box which was deflected home for an own goal and a nail-biting 4 – 4 scoreline.

With only minutes left, neither team wanted to make a mistake and the game finished 4-4. Before the game, both managers agreed that if there was a draw,they would play five minutes extra time with the golden goal rule.

An extremely nervous couple of minutes were played and it seemed the trophy would be shared. However not to be denied up stepped Joey Richardson, who was the quickest to react to a long ball, before intelligently lobbing the advancing keeper to cue unrestrained celebrations both on the pitch and on the sidelines.


Pictured from left to right are: Isaac Todd, Ollie Hufton, Zac Farrer, Ted Brough, Christian Smith, Max Wilson band Callum Richardson with Joey Richardson with the ball

You may be interested in